500 KB PDF
Summary oF the Book::
• The gastrointestinal (GI) tract extends from the mouth to the
anus and comprises several organs with distinct functions.
• Gut compartmentalization: The organs are separated by
specialized & independently controlled thickened sphincters
that aid in gut compartmentalization.
Functionally the gut wall is organized into :
• The mucosa serves as a barrier to luminal contents and as a
site for transfer of fluids or nutrients.
• Gut smooth muscle mediates propulsion from one region to
• The serosal layer provides a supportive foundation and permits
Anatomical levels in the GIT :
• Oral cavity
• Small intestinal
• Large intestinal
Get Direct link